Pages Navigation Bar

Monday, February 28, 2011

Knitted Berry Hats

This is an easy pattern to knit for a premature baby, or a full-term baby.  I use bulky weight yarn for the full-term baby hats, and sport weight yarn for the premature baby hats.  You could also increase or decrease the number of stitches in multiples of six.

Supplies
  • One skein green yarn
  • One skein berry color yarn
  • Scissors
  • Yarn needle
  • Row marker
  • Size 6, 12" circular knitting needle
  • Size 6 double pointed needles
Hat Pattern:
  1. Cast on 54 stitches.
  2. Add row marker, and knit in the round until your project measures 6 inches tall.
  3. Decrease (change to double-pointed knitting needles when you feel the need to switch)
    1. Knit 7, knit two together, repeat all the way around (48 stitches remain)
    2. Knit 6, knit two together, repeat all the way around (42 stitches remain)
    3. Knit 5, knit two together, repeat all the way around (36 stitches remain)
    4. Knit 4, knit two together, repeat all the way around (30 stitches remain)
    5. Knit 3, knit two together, repeat all the way around (24 stitches remain)
    6. Knit 2, knit two together, repeat all the way around (18 stitches remain)
    7. Knit 1, knit two together, repeat all the way around ( 12 stitches remain)
    8. Knit two together, repeat all the way around, (6 stitches remain)
  4. Snip the thread several inches long, then pull through all six stitches.
At this point, you could simply weave in the ends and finish the hat, or add a poof ball.  If you want to make a berry hat, continue with the greenery pattern below.  I found this star pattern here, and thought I could adjust it to fit my needs.  Her original pattern was a bit small, so I added an extra row.  I also added a braid in a loop at the middle for the stem.

Before you are completely confused, here is what I mean when I write (rsd):

And what I mean when I write (wsd):

Berry Greenery
  1. Cast on 65 stitches.
  2. Row 1:  knit 5, *rsd, knit 10, repeat from * 4 times, rsd, knit 5 (55 stitches remain)
  3. Row 2:  purl 4, *wsd, purl 8, repeat from * 4 times, wsd, purl 4 (45 stitches remain)
  4. Row 3:  knit 3, *rsd, knit 6, repeat from * 4 times, rsd, knit 3 (35 stitches remain)
  5. Row 4:  purl 2, *wsd, purl 4, repeat from * 4 times, wsd, purl 2 (25 stitches remain)
  6. Row 5:  knit 1, *rsd, knit 2, repeat from * 4 times, rsd, knit 1 (15 stitches remain)
  7. Row 6:  wsd, repeat across entire row (5 stitches remain)
  8. Sew the one side shut, and add a braid for a stem.
When you are finished, use the ends to attach the greenery to the hat.

I will be linking these at these link parties.



Tip Junkie handmade projects

6 comments:

  1. I love these! This style of hat is what makes me want to knit, but it is still completely foreign to me. You did such a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those caps are so cute. Maybe one day I'll be able to accomplish something more than a scarf.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sweet! I have several friends who are pregnant right now (tis the season) and these would be perfect gifts! I would love for you to link up to my Ten Buck Tuesday link party!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What gorgeous hats! Thank you so much for showing us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such cute hats, thanks for sharing, and the detailed tutorial!! Some day I'll learn and make one:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. hallo is verygood

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment--I love to hear what you think! I try to respond to any questions within one day.