Pages Navigation Bar

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Handkerchief Skirt

A sewing tutorial for making a handkerchief skirt
Isn't this super cute?  How about my cute models Ella and Abby?  One of the things I love most is that it cost me less than $5 to make!  This is made with the same basic design as a circle skirt.  Note--this only works for little girls, babies, or really big handkerchiefs.  Are you ready?

Materials/Supplies
  • Scissors
  • Thread & sewing machine
  • 1 inch wide elastic
  • 2 handkerchiefs
  • Pencil
  • Measuring tape & calculator (or math brain)
  • Pins
Directions
  1. The first thing you need to do is measure the waist this skirt is going on.  The two cute sisters I made these for both have a waist measurement of 22 inches.  From there, I add 2 inches, so my number is now 24.
  2. Take the new measurement and divide by 6.28.  This makes my new number 3.82.
  3. Round down to the nearest quarter inch, so my final number is 3.75 inches.
  4. Fold your handkerchiefs into quarters (half and half again).
  5. A sewing tutorial for making a handkerchief skirt
  6. Tie some thread around the pencil.  Measure out a length of thread matching your final measurement (remember mine was 3.75 inches) and hold that point at the center point of your handkerchief.  Trace a semi-circle on your handkerchief using the pencil attached to the string.
  7. Cut out the part you just drew.  I have this nifty little circle cutting tool, so I just put the point into the center point of my handkerchief and rotate the blade to cut out.  When you are finished, you should have cut a circle out of the center of your handkerchief.
  8. A sewing tutorial for making a handkerchief skirt
  9. Repeat steps 5 and 6 for the other handkerchief.
  10. Open both handkerchiefs and place one on top of the other (both with right sides facing up) so that the points alternate.  I actually took this picture after I had sewn them together because I forgot to ahead of time.
  11. A sewing tutorial for making a handkerchief skirt
  12. Pin together and sew using a sewing and binding stitch.
  13. A sewing tutorial for making a handkerchief skirt
  14. Sew your elastic into a waistband fitting your original measurement (22).  Make sure to sew edges flat so they don't poke out.
  15. A sewing tutorial for making a handkerchief skirt
  16. Pin the waistband to the skirt.  First pin two opposite sides.  Then split the middle and pin.  Continue until you have the entire skirt pinned.
  17. A sewing tutorial for making a handkerchief skirtA sewing tutorial for making a handkerchief skirt
  18. Sew waistband to skirt.  Be sure to stretch the elastic to fit the fabric as you sew.  Stand back and admire your work.

A sewing tutorial for making a handkerchief skirt

I will be linking up to these link parties.

18 comments:

  1. Super cute- Thanks for auditioning for American Crafter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So Cute! And easier than it looks!
    Thanks:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd love for you to come link up at Inspire Me Mondays
    http://singingthreelittlebirds.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. So CUTE!! I will have to make one for my little one!!

    Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  5. cute!! so easy and inexpensive too! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw these on Craft Gossip and tonight I made my own. It turned out so cute!! My 6 and 8 year old girls both loved it. I will definately be making more. Good luck in the competition... this is super creative.... I hope you are chosen!
    Thanks for the great idea!!
    Erin
    www.noodle-and-bean.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. So cute!!!! so glad I found your blog!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ha! That is too cute! We recently went to a western-themed bday party and these would have been quite the hit!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. :D hi :D its great :D I love ıt and will try ıt

    ReplyDelete
  10. These make me wish my girl was a little bit younger and I could make her one!

    Thanks for linking up to Fantastic Friday. I hope you will join us again this week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. so cute!!! I love it!
    We are having a linky party if you would like to join... http://www.bubblynaturecreations.com/2011/02/project-party-weekend-springtime.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow officially LOVE your blog!!!!
    new follower:) :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Super cute! Can you tell me approximately what size the handkerchiefs were that you used for this project? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I bought the handkercheifs at Michaels. I beleive they were about 20 inches square.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for the size feedback. I actually ordered some online in 27X27 for this project so I think it should be a nice length in the end for my five year old. I want to try to make three layers, but no I am not sure how it will turn out! Thanks for the fun inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Made two of these in 1 hour! Can't wait to have my daughter wear them! Since right now she is only wearing skirts. I have plans to even embroider the corners of the skirts - for more flair. Thanks for this!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you! I knew I wanted to make one of these but needed a tutorial to guide me through. Found yours through a Google search and loved it! Thanks for holding my hand through making it! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment--I love to hear what you think! I try to respond to any questions within one day.