Pages Navigation Bar

Sunday, January 16, 2011

1 Million Pillowcase Challenge {Philanthropy #1}

Friendship Quilters of Ontario Ohio
courtesy of http://www.allpeoplequilt.com/
Each month I would like to invite my followers to join me in a little philanthropy.  I am going to post one project/cause each month.  This month, I am starting with something so quick and easy, everyone will be able to participate!

Today I am showcasing American Patchwork and Quilting’s 1 Million Pillowcase Challenge.  The idea behind this challenge is that something as simple as a handmade pillowcase can show someone they are loved.  To read more about the challenge, visit:
 http://www.allpeoplequilt.com/millionpillowcases/index.html

On their website, you can find a participating quilt shop in your area where you can donate your pillowcase.  You can also find lots of patterns to make, but the one I thought was great is their roll pattern.  It makes it so that anyone who doesn’t have a serger (but just a plain sewing machine) can have all seams covered so there is no fraying.  Follow the link below for the roll patter.
http://www.allpeoplequilt.com/millionpillowcases/instructions/RollItUp.pdf

I would love to post each of your pillowcases, so send me a picture in the next few weeks.

3 comments:

  1. What a great idea! I just got a sewing machine and am going to try and learn. Hopefully I can make a pillow case soon enough to participate.

    Thanks for stopping by. I'm following back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just a follower here. My daughter received a pillow case after an extensive test at our childrens hospital and she LOVED it. She uses it all the time and refuses to have any other pillow case on her pillow. It helps her feel better. I will make a few pillow cases for the cause! I hope that I could help someone else feel the same as she did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for your posts!

    I think it really helps when people hear from someone who has benefitted from the cause.

    Thanks for following!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment--I love to hear what you think! I try to respond to any questions within one day.